Your entire house holds a complex network of electrical wirings, all of which power your spaces. A simple flip of the switch fires up your electrical wiring, as with your refrigerator running all day long, and even your laptop plugged in for a charge. In other words, your home is entirely dependent on the system. Should this wiring system be damaged or give out due to constant use, you place you and your loved ones at risk.

Why? Almost always, faulty electrical systems end up sparking and causing a fire to break out. Such blazes not only burn your property down, but can cause injuries and death. The entire concept may be terrifying, but there are ways you can protect your home. 

One of the most important things you can do is to learn more about electrical fires, particularly what causes them. Here’s what you need to know:

Cause #1: Failing to Install a Grounded Outlet in the Kitchen and Bathroom

Grounded outlets are necessary for areas where water is almost always present, such as the kitchen and the bathroom. With the help of these devices, any water coming into contact with the outlet will essentially be harmless, rendering the chances of any shock or fire from happening extremely slim. 

These grounded outlets usually come with buttons, likely depicting labels like “test” and “reset”. If your kitchen and bathrooms do not have these buttons, you may want to call your local electrician for an upgrade. 

Cause #2: Outdated Work of Knob and Tube Wiring

If you’re living in a rather old home, specifically one that was built before the 1950s, your electrical wiring needs to be updated quickly. Your home will likely be sporting a knob-and-tube wiring system, which has no ground wire. In other words, your home is always at risk of shocks and sparks, which can potentially endanger lives and properties. 

You’ll want to upgrade to three-prong outlets, which are deemed safer than the old ones. Grounded outlets can also be installed, but the best way to approach this is to hire an electrician for a full inspection. This way, you’ll be able to address what needs to be addressed, especially since outdated wiring systems are like ticking timebombs!

Cause #3: Excessively Using Extension Cords and Overloading Circuits

Old homes not only have outdated wiring; they also have fewer outlets. As a result, homeowners are forced to resort to extension cords, as well as spilling devices to accommodate all home appliances. Unfortunately, this poses a great risk, as overloaded extension cords can easily combust. 

They can also interfere with the circuits, causing them to overload. You need to look out for flickering lights, as this is usually an indication that your circuit is almost at full capacity. This can be dangerous, as it can generate dangerous heat that will lead to a fire. 

Protect Your Home And Your Loved Ones—Prevent Electrical Fires With The Best Electric Repair Service

Electrical fires can cause a catastrophic scene, as they’re regarded as one of the most dangerous forms of combustion. Fire from these wires can quickly spread out of control, but fortunately, there are ways you can prevent such instances from ever happening. Remember to follow this simple guide—in doing so, you’ll help reduce the risk and save not only your home, but countless others.

For emergency electrical services in Edmonton and surrounding areas, 247 Emergency Electricians is the place to call. We offer you a team of experienced and committed electricians, all guaranteed to be experts in every electrical need. Book an appointment with us today.