When a house catches fire, it’s so difficult to start again. A small fire can take down any hard-earned property in an instant. No one wants that. Unfortunately, many house emergencies happen because of the homeowners’ lack of knowledge regarding electrical safety tips and rules. In an incident report in Ontario, half of the fires recorded happened in residential occupancies, while half of the electrical fires in British Columbia were caused by improper electrical distribution.

Knowing the essential electrical safety tips can help save your property from any electrical hazard. Here are the vital tips you should know to keep your property and everyone inside protected from electrical danger.

Use Your Appliances the Right and Recommended Way

Unless you’ve been using the same brand and unit of an appliance, always remember to read the manual. This step is what most people forget because they rely on their knowledge about the product or what the salesperson told them. The product manual contains all the information you need to know about the appliance you just bought, including its electrical risks. Reading the manual will make using any electrical devices easy and safe.

Keep All Electrical Appliances Far from Water

If there is one rule you have to remember, it is to keep your electrical appliances away from any form of liquid, especially water. The combination of electricity and water has always been hazardous. Water can cause electrical short circuits and electrical shocks. 

All your appliances should be dry at all times, whether you are using them or keeping them aside. The same rule applies to your hands when you are about to use an appliance. Water can damage your device apart from causing accidents to people who touch them. To prevent this from happening, place all your electrical equipment away from any source of water.

Neatly Arrange the Cords and Store Them Properly

One way to avoid any accidents is to keep your appliances neat and tidy. That includes appropriately storing their cords. Make sure they are not within reach of your children or pet so that they do not play with these critical parts. Proper storage would also mean less damage and less electrical risk for your appliances.

For items not in use, make sure that the cords are stored in an area with room temperature. Leaving them in a hot room or even hot surfaces can affect the cord’s insulation and function.

Unplug Devices When Not in Use

Unplugging unused devices is a standard tip that people should practice at all times, especially portable appliances. Even if you’re not using your house tool, the electricity continuously flows inside a plugged cord. Keeping them plugged in can cause possible overheating, overloading, or surging. On the other hand, unplugging them will stop the flow of electricity, and you’ll save up on energy and electricity bills. 

Regularly Check the Cords for Damages

Always keep an eye on your appliances’ cords. Do this every day, if you can, especially for those items that you regularly use. There should not be any form of damages found in the cord. If there are cuts or open wires, or you see melted or frayed cables, they can cause electrocution or ignite a fire. If you see any damages on your cable, you need to replace them promptly before you use the appliances again.

Improve the Air Circulation in the Room

Problems occur when electrical appliances overheat, and sometimes, they overheat because of the room temperature. This scenario often happens to appliances placed in enclosed areas without proper ventilation. Ensure that the air is appropriately circulating in these spaces. Watch out for hot sources appliances, such as the oven, stove, heater, dryer, and more, because they are more prone to heat-related accidents.

Avoid Electrical Overloading

When your outlet overloads, it can cause your breaker to set off. To avoid that from happening, make sure that you plug two high-wattage appliances in different outlets. Make sure that these outlets are connected to two separate circuit breakers. 

For example, avoid plugging in your washing machine and microwave in the same outlet. They are both high-wattage appliances that can make your outlet overload. Instead, connect them into two separate outlets or a split outlet that are under two different breakers. 

If the outlets in your property are not separated in different breakers, contact an electrician and have them changed to avoid overloading and overheating.


No one wants to get involved in an accident related to electricity or electrical wirings. To keep your property and everyone else safe from any electrical accidents, always take care of your electrical equipment. Keep them in secure storage at room temperature, and be mindful of the proper wattage for each device. Keep these seven tips in mind, but always seek professional service, in case you need one.

For electrical home repair or emergency electrical services in Edmonton, AB, contact us at 24/7 Emergency Electricians. We are always open to serve you and resolve all your electrical, heating, and air conditioning concerns. Contact us at (587) 855-4946 or info@247emergency