Nowadays, we are surrounded by electricity and numerous other electrical systems and appliances. This makes it impossible for us to maintain a safe distance from electricity as a whole. Electricity is constantly in use. Moreover, in a cold country like Canada, the usage ranges from morning water heaters to using electric coffee machines throughout the day and much more. Since being away from electricity is nearly impossible, homeowners are advised to undertake some safety measures in order to be safe. We will list down for you some basic electrical safety tips to make you less ignorant towards your safety.

Don’t Touch Switches with Wet Hands

How many times have we been taught this in schools that water is a bad conductor of electricity? Still, we are always tempted to touch switches with bare, wet hands. Switches should not be touched with wet hands because when you plug something in them and the switch is still wet, it might cause a spark or worse, you could get electrocuted.

Appoint Professional Electricians for Repairs

Most of the times, homeowners try to get their electrical systems repaired all by themselves. But this is not right unless you expertise in this field. By doing this, you are putting your own life in danger. It might seem that you have repaired an electrical system but wires might still be unattended which can cause serious injuries in the future due to short circuit. It’s best to leave this work entirely up to professional electricians who are actually experts

Repair Damaged Wires

Damaged wires can be extremely dangerous if not taken care of. There are instances when the coating is chipped or the wire is broken, which should not be avoided. Get your wires replaced by a professional electrician or apply an electrical tape or wire caps. Using duct tape for electrical wiring or broken chords is equivalent to compromising on safety.

Don’t Overload Outlets

There is a certain amount of electricity that is allowed to be passed through each outlet. Power extensions or extension cords have undoubtedly made our lives easier when we are short of outlets. However, these extension cords try to absorb much more electricity than the actual capacity of the outlet, thus causing overload. This overload can cause a spark, leading to short circuits.

Keep Electrical and Heating Appliances Away from Water

Electrical and heating appliances such as dryers, toasters, and heaters already have warning on the packaging stating not to touch with wet hands. It is important to dry your hands before touching these electrical systems. Electrical and heating appliances should not be touched with wet hands because when you plug them in some time and in case they are still wet, there are chances of you getting electrocuted.

Have you heard the phrase, ‘Prevention is better than cure’? These tips justify the phrase. Remember, that these safety tips are to save you from some hazardous accident from taking place. So don’t be ignorant when it comes to electrical emergencies and call a professional electrician like 247 Emergency Electricians.